Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Prime Time: Assembling and Painting the Convergence Colossal (Part 1)

Much like any other hobbyist, real life takes its toll on the time I want to spend dorking out.  However, I've been pretty good about sticking with the 40k kill team and WMH campaign, even with all of these work related deadlines.  So why the recent lack of a post?  Well, it's actually something hobby related.  Sometimes a project comes up that you really can't say no to.  Today's post is the first of a few covering that project.

It's a big one!



The Prime Axiom is the Convergence colossal vector, and it's a beautiful centerpiece model for any force.  Not only does it look nice, but it's a fun model to play with as well.  Imagine a pair of P+S 20 mittens with a 11" melee range* and the ability to pop out a free servitor each turn.  It's flexible with a high threat range, what's not to love?  However, before this monstrous machine hits the table I got some work to do.


So why did I veer off from my original hobby plans for this model?  Up to this point, I was able to waive the Axiom away as being too expensive.  You'd have to be mad to by one at full MSRP, and even discounted online stores were pretty steep.  Even the awesome sale by Miniature Market only brought the cost down to $87, just a little above my pay grade.  I thought I was safe to continue working on my Kill Team and campaign, but then Ebay showed me an offer I couldn't refuse.  Some seller put out a listing for a partially assembled Axiom for just $63.  My shame in deviating from my hobby resolution is just barely overshadowed by my joy in finding an awesome deal.

The assembly was a bit trickier than I hoped, but everything came together and cleaned up nicely.  I haven't fully assembled the model yet because I want to paint all of the details, but I have magnetized the torso and legs, which was a little tricky.  I did not realize some bits were hollow (even though it should have been obvious), and ended up losing a magnet inside the model once or twice.

The other big thing I tackled was how to mount the Axiom.  The kit comes with a rock to simulate floating, but the bit looks terrible and clashes with my iron deck base theme.  Instead, I opted for something a bit more complex.  I took three GW flying base stands and drilled holes into the base and Axiom.  After some measuring and gluing, the Axiom is looking much more convincing (and menacing!) on semi-transparent supports.

It wobbles a bit, but assuming it doesn't suffer massive trauma it'll do.
Plus it just looks cool!

Then it came time to paint the base, which amounted to the usual theme.  Honed Steel washed with Nuln Oil and lightly highlighted with Shining Silver.  I've noticed recently that these bases are kinda drab and blend into the models I paint, so I wanted to make this big base pop some how.  I look at some of the art in the Convergence book and got an idea.  The Convergence is a faction of scientists, so what better way to show that than with equations painted into the base?  I tried to take an artistic nod from the art of Warmachine and paint the equations in a circle around the Axiom's base, to signify it's arcane potential.

The finished base.  I'm thinking of coming back to this near the end.
It works, yet I'm not happy with it.
For a first shot it's not bad, but I'll want to touch it up sometime in the future.  I also want to revisit some other models and upgrade their bases as well. The thing I really like about the added equations are the symbols themselves.  The equation that crosses the front arc is an actual approximation of a species' extinction risk (pretty appropriate considering what this big guy can do).  The left and right fire arcs have been relabeled as Omega and Thanos respectively, which are Greek alphabet letters typically associated with death.

Current progress on one leg.
WIP showing the magnet that connects to the main hull.
This was the "partial" assembly.
It's going to take awhile to finish...

From here I have to paint the actual model, and I figured I'd start from the legs going up.  Both the legs and the torso are the largest and most complex bits in the model, so if I can power through them the arms should wrap up quickly.  Best of all, after assembly comes playtesting this vector, and I cannot wait for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment