Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Weekend Warmacine: Ready the Great Machine!

Every so often TW converges onto Indianapolis from the four corners of our domain for a weekend of catching up, drinking, and wargaming.  I call it "getting Warhammered."  In about two weeks, we will meet again, and to say I'm excited is a huge understatement.  As shameful as it is for me to admit I tend to play the least among all member of TW because I live in Middle of Nowhere, OH when everyone else has stayed faithful to the Hoosier state.  So with this upcoming weekend I'm going to set that right.  I just have to get through finals first.

You know what sucks about finals?  The exams... that I don't have to take because I completed my course of study last year.

And you know what else sucks about finals? Grading undergraduate exams... which I don't have to do because I scored a head prep job this semester.

In reality, this is by far my easiest "finals" week I've had yet in grad school!  For five straight days, it's just me, myself, and my research.  It's a thing of beauty, really.

Of course, the important thing is that I also have a bit of free time where I can finish assembling the models I need for wargaming!  So, what am I bringing to this grand melee?  Here is my first list!

Convergence of Cyriss

Forgemaster Syntherion tier list (35 points)

Syntherion (+6)
Corollary (3)
Cipher (9)
Monitor (8)
Galvanizer (3)
Galvanizer (*)
Mitigator (4)
Diffuser x2 (6)
Optifex Directive x2 (4)
Algorithm Dispersion Optifex x2 (2)
Attunement Servitor (2)

Pros

  • Great Tier bonuses: Syntherion, a battlegroup warcaster, gives us just what we want with his tier list bonuses.  From Advanced Deployment ADOs to a free Galvanizer, this list makes sure we start the game strong.  My favorite tiers are probably 2 and 3.  Nothing allows us to hit the ground running better than cheaper fist turn spells and a Corollary starting with two focus.
  • Resilient: This is a list that can take a lick and keep ticking.  Syntherion's Field Marshal ability allow himself and his vectors to heal d3 wounds each round.  On top of that, the Galvanizers and Optifex Directives have a repair skill that can heal d6 wounds.  That means the opponent is going to have to put a lot of effort into destroying a vector the first time around, otherwise it can heal back a lot of health.  Attrition is the name of the game!

Cons

  • It's slow: With most of the models in the battlegroup having a SPD of 4-5, this list isn't winning any races.  More often than not Syntherion will not be the first on an objective, which means that I'm going to be behind in points most of the game.

Potential Changes

As happy as I am with the list, I can't help but to think that it'd be made stronger with another heavy vector wedged in there.  I was leaning towards another Monitor or maybe even an Inverter, but an Assimilator would serve Syntherion well too.  If I face a lot of infantry heavy lists, the Modulator would be a solid choice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment