Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

The Claw's Intro


Woo! Look at me! I’m blogging! How 2009 of me.



Can I do it with Kale?....Will my Labradoodle fit in it?

Welcome to my chunk of the internet.  I call myself The Claw, an old nickname my high school Latin teacher bestowed on me.  Here I promise to deliver thoughtful posts about gaming and life, minimal spelling and grammar errors, and a sanctuary from cat memes.



For anyone reading this who doesn’t know me, let me tell you a little about myself.


The details of my life are quite inconsequential…

Like just about every author on this blog, I’ve known the majority of Team Waynedale since grade school.  I hold the distinction of being the only member of this blog to have never actually lived in Waynedale at any point to date (though I did go to school there for nine years, you could say I lived there provisionally).  I currently work in financial services and have a lovely girlfriend (yeah, yeah, I’m working on the dog and white picket fence).  I’m a foodie, a beer geek, and I enjoy sports to a sometimes unhealthy degree.  I’ve also been involved in some aspect of what you would call “gamer culture” for the last 25 years.

My first foray into games began at 3 years old when I played the classic Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo cartridge on my uncle’s NES.  I had played board games with my dad since I was around that age as well, but Mario got me hooked.  I fell in with what eventually became the TW crowd during grade school.  Waynedale Gamer and Sir Dragon in particular introduced me to some great games of the non-video variety (MTG in the late 90s, D&D in the early 2000s and, my current addiction, 40k and Warmahordes in the early 2010s).  I’m glad I have a great group of buddies to share these hobbies with.  I’d highly recommend it as a means of staying in touch with old friends.

Enough about me, though.  Let’s get down to the meat and potatoes of this blog.  My posts will fall under three major categories: tabletop gaming, video games, and random thoughts/tangents.

Tabletop will focus on painting, strategery, and, if I’m feeling ambitious, the occasional battle report.  I command 3 major armies on the table: Chaos Marines in 40k, Daemons in Warhammer Fantasy (which I’m currently modeling with interchangeable bases to play in 40k), and Khador in Warmachine.  Guess you could say I like being the bad guy.  I love showing off painted minis to inflate my ego, so a lot of my filler posts where I don’t have a lot to say will consist of works in progress.

As previously mentioned, I got my start in gaming with video games, so it would stand to reason that some of my posts will be about this.  There will be some gaming reviews but I’ll also broach some broader topics such as industry trends and business strategy analysis when the situation calls for it.

Lastly, there will be times where a post won’t fit neatly into one of these little boxes.  Sorry in advance, but you may have to endure some random thoughts that fly through my mind.  Maybe an observation or comparison between two tabletop game systems or companies, maybe a splash of sports conversation (yes, sports are games too), or maybe just some ramblings about the trends of gamer culture in society and pop culture today.  We’ll just throw whatever we have at the wall and see what sticks.

In summary, the goal of this blog will be to create a more well-rounded gamer.  Whoever’s reading this should be able to then apply the tactics we discuss for a game of Warmachine as easily as they can engage in the Manning vs. Brady™ debate.  As far as where I see this going in the future?  Well, if nobody but the TW crew ever reads this, then it will have met its purpose as a tool to stay in touch with some good people.  If this gets a following outside of TW, though, well then, we'll see how to play it from there.

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8, NES Remix 2
Currently painting: Chaos Heldrake, Chaos Terminators, Khador Destroyer

Fun Fact: Since October 2011, the conference finals for all four major American sports have been contested 3 times each.  Only the NHL's Eastern Conference has not had at least one team appear in all three years' finals.  The rest are as follows:

MLB
American League: Detroit Tigers
National League: St. Louis Cardinals
NFL
AFC: New England Patriots
NFC: San Francisco 49ers
NBA
East: Miami Heat
West: Oklahoma City Thunder
NHL
West: Los Angeles Kings


1 comment: